Dallas Apartment Explosion Injures 8
Another apartment complex serviced by Atmos Gas has exploded. On Wednesday around 10:20 a.m., local first responders received a call about a possible gas leak at the Highland Hills Apartments near Interstate 45 and Simpson Stuart Road near Paul Quinn College. While investigating, firefighters say there was an explosion and fire that badly damaged the two-story apartment building. The apartment complex was serviced by Atmos Gas.
The blast shattered windows on neighboring buildings. It was felt by other surrounding residents several blocks away, throwing debris into a nearby field.
“I heard a loud boom and then I felt the ground shaking,” recalled Savannah Garth, who lives nearby.
Residents reported smelling gas at the Highland Hills Apartments the night before the explosion. The next morning, while fire fighters were apparently on the premises, the apartments exploded. Four fire fighters were injured in the explosion, three critically.
GAS LEAKS REQUIRE IMMEDIATE RESPONSE: when gas leaks are reported, a natural gas service provider, like Atmos, is required to immediately inspect the natural gas system. Gas leaks are not normal, and should not happen: apartment complexes and natural gas service providers have a duty to prevent them. The Highland Hills Apartments Gas Explosion was likely caused by negligence by both the apartment complex owners and Atmos Gas.