Heather Tyler, 12, Severely Burned by Gas Can Explosion
Heather Tyler, age 12, from Lakeland, Florida, was severely burned by a gas can explosion last month while standing near a bonfire. The gas can was apparently in the vicinity of the bonfire, emitted flammable gasoline vapors, and a slash fire started outside the can.
Because the gas can was not equipped with a 15 cent flame arrester, the external flash fire travelled into the gas can Heather was standing near, and caused that gas can to become, in essence, a bomb. 75 percent of Heather’s body was burned, and she is currently at Shriner’s Hospital in Cincinnati Ohio.
Gas can explosions are entirely preventable. Portable gas cans should have been equipped with a flame arrester to prevent flame propagation into the gas can. Blitz USA, the largest maker of gas cans, is in bankruptcy because of its gross negligence in failing to equip its cans with flame arresters. Scepter Canada and Midwest Can also made gas cans without flame arresters. ANY gas can without a flame arrester is defective.
The Flynn Law Firm has recovered millions of dollars for victims of gas can explosions, and represents gas can explosion victims across the country.